Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Thursday, March 12, 2009

Kuzhi Paniyaram



This is one of the famous snack from Chettinad cuisine. It can be prepared easily from Idli batter either sweet or salty. I tried it salty and spicy. Check it out!


Ingredients:
Idli batter - 3 cups (check the recipe below)

Onions - 1, medium sized, finely chopped
Green chillies - 2-3, cut into small pieces
Curry leaves - few
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal - 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder - a pinch
Coriander leaves - few
Oil - 1 tablespoon


Method:
Heat oil in a pan. Allow mustard seeds to splitter in it.
Add urad dal, curry leaves, onions, green chillies, asafoetida powder and fry for few minutes until all onions turn golden brown.
Then mix this and coriander leaves with the batter.
Heat the paniyaram pan(I missed to take a picture, will add it later) and apply little oil in each of the holes.
Once it is hot, pour the dough and allow it to cook on both sides.
Serve hot with coconut chutney.


Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves 4-5 persons


Idli batter:
Ingredients:
Boiled Rice - 4 cups
Urad dal - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Method:
Soak rice in water for 2-3 hours and dal in water for 45 mintues, before you are ready to grind.
Grind them seperately and mix them with salt and water, if required.
Ferment it for 8 hours or leave the dough overnite, so that it is perfect for the mornings.

11 Comments:

Unknown said...

yummy..i love this

Shama Nagarajan said...

its lovely dear....yummy too

Chitra said...

Oh i luv paniyaram made with idli batter prepared by my mom,u have given the same recipe.i posted it in my blog few months back.i feel like eating it now after seeing this picture..wonderful,delicious!!

FH said...

I made some of these last week, with left over Idli batter. Looks yum! :)

FH said...

I made some of these last week, with left over Idli batter. Looks yum! :)

AnuSriram said...

Looks lovely! I too make it with idli batter, but my idli batter ratio is 1:5.

Unknown said...

lovely recipe..

Vidhya said...

looks delicious vani. I also add a small piece of ginger for making this..

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

I love paniyaram. Its my favorite one. Perfect with coconut chutney.

Anonymous said...

Kuzhi Paniyaram sappittu rombanaalachu. thanks for remaining.

Sumathikarthikeyan said...

Hi,

Paniyaram is my favorite one. My mom used to do this very offen.

If your get a chance kindly peep into my blog (http://ammavin-adupankarai.blogspot.com/) and leave your comments.