Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Friday, October 10, 2008

Purple Cabbage Poriyal(Stir Fry)



Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamins K and C and a good source of dietary fiber, manganese, calcium and potassium too.


Ingredients:
Purple cabbage - 1 or 250 grams
Onion - 1, big size, finely chopped
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Red chillies - 4-5 or as spicy required
Curry leaves - few
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander leaves - few
Salt to taste
Oil - 1-2 tablespoon

Method:
Wash cabbage, chop them finely and keep aside.

Grind grated coconut and cumin seeds without water to a coarse powder.

Heat oil in a pan. Allow mustard seeds to splitter in it.

Add red chillies, onions, curry leaves and fry for until onions turn golden brown.

Then add chopped cabbage and saute for 10 minutes.

Add salt to it and grinded powder and mix well.

Cook for another 5-10 minutes.

Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.


Cooking time : 20-30 minutes
Serves 4-5 persons

30 Comments:

Radhika said...

I love this cabbage very much than the plain white one we get. Looks delicious. But I am unable to get this one in the market.

Lakshmi said...

nice accompaniment for chapathis. Good thing about cabbage it gets fried in less time unlike carrot/beans etc

Indian Khana said...

Red cabbage is sure healthier than normal one...gud one dear...looks nice

Deepa Kuber said...

Never tried purple cabbage.. ur recipe sounds good. does this cabbage tastes same as the green cabbage?

Medhaa said...

I have tried this cabbage and did not like it its too bitter for me. Looks great though

Sangeeth said...

i luv cabbage but h ave never tried the purple one! does it taste the same way as the normal one?

Unknown said...

For some reasons I thought u r nt gng to post for few weeks :(

But found many recipes yaar..this poriyal..I like it very much...

Raks said...

I too often make purple cabbage poriyal with coconut and macaroni added at the end:)
Nandri:) for sharing!

Sunshinemom said...

I made this once too, but I love the green one better! Good colour and yes - it does go well with chapati!

Unknown said...

I have some cabbage in my fridge..will try this for tonights dinner..

Unknown said...

haaah after a long time one post realy waiting for your recipes this one is mmmm very helthy and nice combo with rice and rasam!! i think thanks for sharing

kamala said...

I too make this the same way Vani..Love the purple color!!

Anonymous said...

I tried purple cabbage too. I like the taste but it takes more time to cook than green cabbage. So I microwave it with little water for few mins.Then I cook purple cabbage as I do with green cabbage.I felt taste little different than green cabbage.

Radha

Illatharasi said...

Thank you friends for the lovely comments:)

@ Anjali, it tastes little different than the normal cabbage. But its nice too, try it:)

Unknown said...

i bought the purple one once, but did not like it..seeing your recipe. feel like tryng it again..looks really good and is healthy too...

Sujatha said...

color looks lovely vani! Cabbage poriyal is one of my comfort food.. good one!

Sum Raj said...

purple cabbage is very rarly used here...i still lov the different flavour...urs looks nice..

Uma said...

Like Sowmya said, I also didn't like the taste of purple cabbage. Your recipe looks great and tempting me!

Cham said...

Perfect curry for halloween :) The color is quiet attractive !

clara said...

Wow...lovely color. I never tried this...Will try now..

Deepthi Shankar said...

looks lovely ....

Vidhya said...

yummy curry. Will your version tomorrow. I have this purple cabbage sitting in my fridge for a very long time. BTW there is a surprise waiting for you in my blog.

lubnakarim06 said...

Simply gr8. Sounds healthy looks awesome.

Anonymous said...

I love the dark color that this one has cooked down to. It would look so good on the table with other colored vegetables! :)

Kayal said...

this recipe is really new, i have tried out.....will try out soon. BTW thanks for the recipe.

Shreya said...

i have never used this cabbage, and have to try this:-)

anudivya said...

Pretty purple... and healthy too.

Unknown said...

check out my blog for an award..

Unknown said...

very tasty....i have prepared it in my kitchen.i am very new to cooking.i am learning so many from your blog.thank you.

Unknown said...

very nice...i have tried & tasted too.thank you