Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Friday, October 31, 2008

Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani



This is different type of biryani. Gravy and rice are cooked seperately and mixed together. I had it a lot, when I stayed in Hyderabad, missing it now ;)

Ingredients:
Chicken - 1/2 kg
Basmati rice - 2 cups
Onions - 2-3 big size, chopped
Tomatoes - 2, chopped
Cardamom - 4
Cloves - 4
Cinnamom stick - 2
Bay leaf - 2
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
Chilli powder - 1-2 tablespoons (as spicy required)
Coriander powder - 1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Yoghurt - 1/2 cup
Cumin seed powder - 1 teaspoon
Mint leaves - few
Coriander leaves - few
Salt to taste
Cashews - few
Oil / Ghee - 2 tablespoons


Method:
Wash and cut chicken into small pieces.

Marinate chicken pieces in yoghurt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, 1/2 of ginger garlic paste, chopped mint leaves for 30-60 minutes.

Boil 4-5 cups of water with 1 cinnamom stick, 1 bay leaf, 2 cardamom, 2 cloves and salt to taste. Wash rice and cook until they are half cooked. Drain excess water if any.

Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add remaining cardamom, cloves, cinnamom stick bay leaf in it.

Then add the ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute. Add onions and saute until they are golden brown.

Add chopped tomatoes and add marinated chicken. Mix well and cook it covered until chicken is tender.

Then add salt to it(only for chicken, since rice has already salt in it) and mix well.

Once chicken is cooked and gravy is thick, switch off the flame and spread rice on top of it, cover it and allow it get cooked in the pressure.

After 20 minutes, mix it well and garnish with coriander leaves and fried cashews.

Serve hot with onion raita.


Cooking time : 30-45 minutes
Serves 4 persons



I am sending this to SWC - Andhra Pradesh Cuisine hosted by Priya.

29 Comments:

Unknown said...

This must be a favorite of every India.Sounds too good.Wish I had this rite now.

Kalai said...

Delicious biryani! I can just imagine the flavor and aroma! :)

Vidhya said...

I have heard that hyderabadi biryani is very famous. this looks really yummy.

Lakshmi said...

I have heard a lot about Dum Biriyanis..yet to try to them

Cham said...

I want the plate now :) Looks super delicious! Hope u had a wonderful Diwali!

Andhra Flavors said...

dhum biriyani looks perfect!

Indian Khana said...

Dum Biryani is the always better...yours looks so gud..nice entry for the event

Shama Nagarajan said...

hai vani
i love hyderabadi biriyani.......yours made me to hv one today........

Haripriya Reddy said...

Thanks dear!

Yummy entry for the event!

Kitchen Chronicles said...

Vani, nice chicken biryani. I had a friend in madras, she used to make these biryanis. When she used to bring it our house the box used to get finished off in a jiffy. I don't eat non-veg. But my son has become what we say "Pakka non-veg". So nowadays started cooking for him. But still not into biryanis. Would like to try your recipe sometimes.

Raks said...

I think I can replace the chicken with veggies:) Sounds interesting!

Sanhita said...

I love biryani and this one looks great. Will definately try it sometime.

Priya Suresh said...

Delicious Briyani...Mouthwatering one...

Srikitchen said...

happy to be in ur blog again after my break!

briyani super pa! made me to feel hungry!

Vijitha said...

yummmy briyani!!! looks lovely

Kayal said...

Great work....I have been searching for a good recipe for briyani and this looks so appropriate for my tastes. Will surely try this once. Thanks for the recipe.

Shama Nagarajan said...

hai a gift for you...check out this link...http://easy2cookrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/11/oats-upma.html

Madhavi said...

Love biryani, yummmm. how r u doin' gal ???

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

hi u have a nice blog.I m from singapore and quite new to SG.Can u suggest me as to where i can get good mushrooms.

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

hi u have a nice blog.I m from singapore and quite new to SG.Can u suggest me as to where i can get good mushrooms.

Illatharasi said...

Thanks Jeyashri. Welcome to singapore. You can get fresh mushrooms in NTUC fairprice or Sheng Siong shops. Canned ones are also available. I tried canned button mushrooms from Sheng siong, they are good. Let me know if you need any help.

Anonymous said...

looks mouthwatering..thanks for the wonderful recipe

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

Thank u so much.I will try in NTUC.Ur in which part of SG.I m in farrer park 10 mnin walk from mustafa center

R said...

Would like to invite you for a coffee at My blog
Pls join me :)

Illatharasi said...

Hi Jeyashri, then you can buy in mustafa itself. You can email me @ illatharasi@gmail.com. I stay in Pasir Ris

vidhas said...

Nice biriyani, but i am a pure veg, i can substitute with vegggies and try. Jeyashri is my friend and i sent your link since your profile says you are in singapore.

@the_whisk_affair said...

hey vani! its been sometime, so i thought i would just visit :-)

biriyani looks delicious..i also did a biriyani post recently :-)

R said...

My hubby just boasts about it. I got try it soon... ;) Pls visit YAAT post at my blog. I have something for you...

Unknown said...

I tried this recipe at home and lemme tell you that it's delicious... :)