Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tomato Rice

Every south indian cook knew about this I guess ;)

Very simple, quick and tasty recipe.

Best for lunch boxes and travel.

Ingredients:
Cooked Rice - 3-4 cups
Ripe Tomatoes - 2, medium sized, finely chopped
Onions - 1, medium sized, finely chopped
Chilli powder - 1/2 tablespoon or as spicy required
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
Curry leaves - few
Coriander leaves - few
Salt to taste
Oil/Ghee - 1-2 tablespoons

Method:
Heat oil/ghee in a big pan. Once it is hot, allow mustard seeds to splitter in it.

Add curry leaves, onions and fry until they are golden brown. Then add garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.

Then add chopped tomatoes and saute well. Add chilli powder, turmeric powder and mix well.

Keep stirring in intervals until tomatoes become soft. Add salt to taste and cook until it become thick.

Add cooked rice, salt(if required) and stir carefully, so that all gets mixed well.

Cook it covered in a low flame for 5-10 minutes.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with coconut chutney or pappad.

Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves 2 persons.




Srilekha, Vidhya, Priti have passed me "GOOD JOB" award.


Thank you friends!
I would like to share it with all my blogger friends who are doing a great job :)

23 Comments:

Indian Khana said...

Tomato rice looking yum..u r so site..gud for lunch box :)

Bhawana said...

wow Vani love you dear. Yday I made a list of rice recipes. My husband needs rice in afternoon else he feels sleepy. Tomato rice was one of them. made a note of it. Looksssssssssssssssssss very tasty and tempting. now for tomorrow m going to make urs.. will let u :)

Bhawana said...

wow Vani love you dear. Yday I made a list of rice recipes. My husband needs rice in afternoon else he feels sleepy. Tomato rice was one of them. made a note of it. Looksssssssssssssssssss very tasty and tempting. now for tomorrow m going to make urs.. will let u :)

Sangeeth said...

my all time fav...even today i did this for lunch!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

easy & fav dish...

Deepa Kuber said...

congrats on ur award.. tomato recipe sounds interesting.its my fav rice dish.

Unknown said...

Comfort food..Looks delicious

notyet100 said...

tis looks so yum,.;-),..hopeu dng fine,..

Vidhya said...

I love tomato rice. Yours look great. will try it.

raaji said...

haa tomato rice...my favorite food...my first time here..blog looks real neat

Cham said...

One of the handy one pot meal! Looks great :)

Uma said...

beautiful tomato rice.

Uma said...

beautiful tomato rice.

Deepthi Shankar said...

i love tomato rice .. its been a while since i made it ... looks lovely vani

Srikitchen said...

congrats on ur award vani!

Sujatha said...

I just posted tomato thokku in my blog :) Tomato rice looks awesome.. Love the color..

And congrats on your award, vani!

Mrs.Kannan said...

Tomato rice looks awesome,I usually make it in a different way,but by the juicy look of it,i have to try it i guess

Lakshmi said...

tomato rice and raita yummy lunch :)

Madhavi said...

Hi Vani,

I am back :))

This tomato rice look delicious, will try soon !!!

something waiting for u @ my blog, check it out :))

Shama Nagarajan said...

hi vani

came to know ur blog through ramyacooks.Ur blog is too good..........ur recipes are yummy.I hv added u to my blog list.

Jaishree Iyer said...

Tomato rice looks awesome..Ilove tomato rice .

Shri said...

I too made the same yesterday..not yet posted.Congrats on your award!!

Sunshinemom said...

You bet - its one of the best among mixed rice varieties!! Tops:)