Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Karunai Kizhanghu Podimas (Yam Stir Fry)



Try this, a real yummy one. Will be divine with curd rice ;)


Ingredients:
Karunai Kizhangu (Yam) - 250 grams
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Black gram (Urad Dal / Uzhunthu) - 1 teaspoon
Cury leaves - few
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Asafoetida powder (Perungayam) - 1/4 teaspoon
Chilli powder - 2 teaspoons or as spicy required
Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Lemon juice or Tamarind juice - 1/2 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Oil - 1/2 tablespoons

Method :
Wash yam, peel off the skin and cut into small cubes. The more tiny you cut, more tasty yam would be ;)

Heat oil in a pan and allow mustard seeds to splitter in it.

Add curry leaves, black gram, asafoetida powder, yam and fry them.

Stir constantly and add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and mix them well.

Let it cook for 15 minutes, but keep stirring often.

Then add salt, lemon juice and saute it until they are cooked well.

Serve hot with rice.


Cooking time : 25 minutes
Serves 2 persons

21 Comments:

Indian Khana said...

Yum Stir Fry looks yum :)...we do almost same way minus the lemon juice but the size of yum pieces quite big..will try this sometime

Unknown said...

I love to have these with dhall n rice..

Cham said...

I get only frozen yam, should try ur version :)

Jaishree Iyer said...

Karunai Kizhangu podimas looks yum & delicious... one of my favorite.
vani I posted entry for Afam event and mailed u yesterday..

Vidhya said...

Love it Vani, I love this karunaikezhangu and we use coconut oil to make this fry, in our mom's place. Looks yum.

Sujatha said...

Looks spicy and delicious! I wish I get fresh karunai kilangu here, but I sure can try with frozen too. Yes, I can imagine the taste with Curd-rice.. hhhmmmm drooling..:)

Madhavi said...

Hummm delicious recipe and look yummmmm!!!!

Deepthi Shankar said...

looks nice .. I really dont buy yam that much ..shall give this a try

kamala said...

this is my hubby's fav Vani..Looks yummy

Sum Raj said...

woo my fav..luv these to have with rice ..

raaji said...

what is yam vani???where can i get that???

Unknown said...

i stir fry yam too..love it..but karnai kazhangu is different from sennai which is also called as yam isn't it?

Mrs.Kannan said...

Hey I always do this in home,i usually add bit of sugar in it..It'll go fantastic with curd rice,yours really looks yummiiii

Illatharasi said...

Thank you friends for those lovely comments:)

Sowmi, as of my understanding karna kizhanghu or senai kizhanghu are same I guess.... also called "elephant yam".

Raaji, replied you at your blog:)

notyet100 said...

recipe is new for me,..looks yum...

Lakshmi said...

stir fried vegetable looks nice. Yam..I have never tried my hands on this vegetable..always get lost thinking ..which Yam I should buy..I can see one which is big, small little ones :( etc etc..btw what were you doing till 1.45AM ;) ..

Srikitchen said...

lovely recipe vani! i too do this recipe in same way but i won't add lime juice!

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Looks yummy and delicious. shall try this once.

Haripriya Reddy said...

Looks yummy!

EC said...

Looks yumm...an award for you here http://simpleindianfood.blogspot.com/2008/09/dahi-batata-puri-events-and-awards.html

Sunshinemom said...

I make this too, and the kids just love it. Yours looks crisp and inviting!