Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Monday, September 1, 2008

A Fruit A Month - Gooseberry


AFAM - A Fruit A Month was intiated by Maheswari. Happy to host it this month in my blog. I have chosen "Gooseberries" for the event.


Some facts about Gooseberries:

- Native to Europe, northwestern Africa and southwestern Asia
- Fruits are nearly spherical, in light greenish yellow colour.
- Tastes sour, bitter, sweet and
astrigent.
- Tradiontionally used in Ayurvedic medicine.
- Nutritionally good in dietary fiber, Calcium, phosphorus, Iron, Vitamin C and B.
- Indian gooseberries are called as nelli in Sinhala, nellikka in Malayalam, amlakhi in Assamese, usirikai in Telugu, nellikkaai in Tamil as well as aonla, aola, ammalaki, dharty, aamvala, aawallaa, emblic, Emblic myrobalan, Malacca tree, nillika, and nellikya in various other languages. Also known as Stachelbeere (German), Groseille a Maquereaux (French), Uva Spina (Italian), Stekbes (Flemish).
- Its also termed as "Poor man's apple" as it has the qualities equal to an apple. Remember "an apple a day keeps the doctor away", so "a gooseberry a day also keeps the doctor away" .... he he



So start your shopping and cook any dish of Gooseberry and send it to me.

Rules are very simple:



1) Post any recipe(veg or non-veg) which is cooked/prepared using Gooseberry. A link to this annoucement in your post is a MUST and if possible, please add the logo.

2) In case you wish to send some dish that you have posted earlier, please repost it with the link to the event and logo.

3) No restrictions on the number of entries...send in AS MANY AS YOU CAN.

4) Email me with the below details and Subject line as "AFAM", to illatharasi at gmail dot com (illatharasi@gmail.com) before September 30, 2008.

Your name
Dish name
Link to the recipe/post

Roundup would be published during the first week of October.

5) If you are a non-blogger, please email me the recipe and the picture.


Click here for last month's AFAM - Lemon round up!

Looking forward for your recipes...... :-)

23 Comments:

jayasree said...

Nice selection for AFAM. Happy hosting. Count me in.

EC said...

Nice choice for the month..will try to send in something

notyet100 said...

nice theme vani..gooseberries are known as amla in hindi and re really good for hair,..u can update in the list,..;-)one question,.r they available in singapore...if yes where?hppy hosting...:-)

Ivy said...

I wish I could find some gooseberries to send you a recipe but this is something I cannot find in any form. I use a gooseberry liqueur in some of my recipes, can I send you one using the liqueur?

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

I'm sure to have one for u. Happy hosting : )

Unknown said...

nice choice!!

Illatharasi said...

Thanks All, waiting eagerly for your entries :)

Priyanka, you can get them in Mustafa or Sheng Siong or any veggie shops in Little India.

Ivy, yes you can send, no worries:)

Jaishree Iyer said...

Nice choice for AFAM.will try to send in something...Happy hosting:)

Anonymous said...

Hey .excellent choice..Couldn't participate last month's AFAM.Will sure try this month...

Sujatha said...

good choice vani.. I just recently came across a new recipe using gooseberry.. right timing :) Will participate for sure..

Indian Khana said...

Nice theme dear...Happy Hosting :)...but now need to thinking what to make with awala...(thinking.....)

Sukanya Yogesh said...

Great choice.....Happy hosting

Vidhya said...

what a coincidence!!!!!! I bought a bag of frozen gooseberries this weekend and made pachadi yesterday and planning to make pickle tomorrow or day after. Will send u the posts.

Dibs said...

Great idea. Will look out for all the recipes!

Cham said...

Well, we get it frozen nellikaai never bought it :) Nice choice !

Unknown said...

nice theme for the month..

Illatharasi said...

Thanks everyone.... eagerly waiting for your recipes:)

Sunshinemom said...

Interesting choice of fruit - only you don't find them here at this time! He he....

Anonymous said...

Hi Ivy, nice foodie event, I am not aware of it, I thought I could not join the food event due to a busy summer. I would love to join : )

Anonymous said...

Hi there, please excuse and delete my previous comment.

I was referred and recommended to this lovely food event by Ivy from http://kopiaste.org Look forward to join.

Yasmeen said...

Unique choice for AFAM. Never cooked with gooseberries. I'll surely send a recipe if i find fresh or frozen berries in my desi store here.

Lakshmi said...

aaahaaa..good that I put on hold my gooseberry recipe.. :D will post it soon for AFAM. A lovely fruit for the event!

Dershana said...

Hi, Just got to know of this event from Vidhya's blog. Will send in an entry soon. Lovely theme.