Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Thursday, August 28, 2008

Baby Pumpkin Kootu(Curry)


Bought these baby pumpkins, since I liked its shape and colour ;)
But Kootu was also very tasty. Try this!



Ingredients:
Baby Pumpkin - 2
Mung bean (Green Gram/Pacha paruppu) - 1/2 cup
Lentils (Tur dal) - 2 tablespoons
Split chickpeas (Kadalai paruppu/Chana dal) - 2 tablespoons
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilli - 2
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Black gram (Uzhundhu) - 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves - few
Coriander leaves - few
Onion - 1 medium sized, chopped
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tablespoon

Method:
Cut Baby pumpkin into small pieces. Peel off the skin and discard the seeds.

Wash mung bean, lentils, split chickpeas, add 2-3 cups of water, turmeric powder and cook they are 3/4th cooked.

Add cut pumpkin pieces and add until all are cooked well. Mash slightly and keep aside.

Grind coconut, cumin seeds with little water to a thick paste.

Heat oil in a pan. Once it is hot, allow mustard seeds to splitter. Add urad dal, red chillies, curry leaves and fry for a minute.

Then add chopped onions and fry until onions become golden color. Add cooked veggie and dal mixture, salt to it with coconut paste.

Mix it well and bring to a boil. Garnish with Coriander leaves.

Serve hot with rice and pappad. Very tasty one ;)


Cooking time : 45 minutes
Serves 4 persons.

Check out Winter melon kootu, which I posted earlier, with minor change in the recipe.

3 days left for the Rakhi Event in my other blog. Send your entries, if you have not done. Check out for the round-up on Sep 1st.

15 Comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds interesting..New to me..will try sometime

Deepthi Shankar said...

baby pumpkin kootu looks really yummy .. shall try it sometime

Usha said...

I love all types of kootu and liked your variation of using green gram in it,normally I use mainly tur dal..will try it this way sometime too:)

Srikitchen said...

mmm... ennaennama panni asathuringey vani!

Sum Raj said...

looks delicious and tempting curry

Unknown said...

kootu sounds delicious..love the cute baby pumpkins,...especially the yellow ones with orange stripes..

Sujatha said...

I love koottus.. baby pumpkin is something new.. looks delicious, Vani.. will give this a try soon..

Ramya Bala said...

My dad,broyher n hubby(everybody around me,except me) love pumpkin..As,I have aversion am nt buying it..shud make it a point and buy sometime and ur KOOTU :)

Uma said...

lovely kootu! cute pumpkins.

Indian Khana said...

kootu looks gud...love the picture with aplam :)

Vidhya said...

I love this kootu recipe will try this as soon as I get the pumpkin from my backyard. Have tagged u Vani please check out my blog on 29th :-)

notyet100 said...

baby pumpkins lookc cute,..thnks ror sharin yummy recipe,..hpy weekend,..;-)

Cham said...

I am not fan of pumpkin but love kootu :) Looks yummy with the papad!

Solai Chidambaram said...

Missing you illatharasi.Still busy.We prepare the koottu the same way.Nice presentation

Sunshinemom said...

Vani, kootu has always been my favourite side dish with rasam! I love this thing - with pappadam it is just perfect:)